Féilim James through English,
Féilim Ó Brádaigh through Irish
Féilim James is a writer from Dublin, Ireland. His poetry and prose, through both English and Irish, have earned a number of awards and publications. Journals in which Féilim has appeared include The Galway Review, Icarus, A New Ulster, Trinity Journal of Literary Translation,Tales from the Forest, Rant + Rave, Comhar, Feasta, Comhar Óg, Tuathal, and An Scríbhneoir Óg. His work through Irish (under Féilim Ó Brádaigh) has won seven Oireachtas literary awards, including one for a collection of poetry, titled Bóthar an Chladaigh. The Oireachtas literary awards are the most prestigious awards in Irish language literature. Additionally, he has twice been selected for Fóras na Gaeilge’s Tutor Scheme, through which he developed his poetry and prose with the award-winning children’s writer and poet Áine Ní Ghlinn.
Féilim is a graduate of English Literature and Psychology in Trinity College, Dublin. As a part of his studies, he completed a creative writing module with the distinguished author Deirdre Madden, an intensive 13-week module where students were required to submit weekly pieces of fiction, as well as one lengthy final submission. Féilim received a high first-class honours mark for the two short stories he submitted to be assessed. Furthermore, he has taken part in a term-long fiction workshop with Trinity Writing Fellow Gavin Corbett. Féilim read his poem ‘Pandemic’ for Smashing Times’ Youth Ensemble’s multi-disciplinary performance, Flaming Inspirations, at the Samuel Beckett Theatre, Trinity, in October 2017. He recently completed the first draft of his debut novel, Adam, a coming-of-age story of a young man’s final months in college, as a series of major losses brings him to the brink of mental collapse.
In September 2018, Féilim began the MA in Writing in NUI Galway. He is currently working on a collection of short stories.
Is scríbhneoir é Féilim Ó Brádaigh as Baile Átha Cliath, Éire. Scríbhneoir filíochta is próis, sa Ghaeilge agus sa Bhéarla, foilsíodh a shaothair in irisí éagsúla, leithéidí Comhar, Feasta, Tuathal, Comhar Óg, An Scríbhneoir Óg, The Galway Review, A New Ulster, Icarus, Rant+Rave agus Tales from the Forest. Foilsíodh aistriúcháin Ghaeilge dá chuid san iris Trinity Journal of Literary Translation freisin.
Ghnóthaigh saothar Fhéilim seacht nduais i gComórtais Liteartha an Oireachtais ó 2011-2016, ceann le haghaidh cnuasach filíochta dar teideal Bóthar an Chladaigh san áireamh. Chomh maith leis sin, roghnaíodh é faoi dhó le haghaidh Scéim na nOidí de chuid Fóras na Gaeilge. Is céimí é Féilim sa Litríocht Bhéarla agus sa tSiceolaíocht, Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath. I mí Mheán Fómhair 2018, thosaigh Féilim Máistreacht sa Scríbhneoireacht Chruthaitheach in Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh.
- 2nd place in Oireachtas na Gaeilge New Writers Competition for the poetry collection Bóthar an Chladaigh, 2016.
- 1st place in Oireachtas na Gaeilge Short Story Competition, U-21, 2016, for the story ‘Cogar’. Read here.
- 1st and 2nd place in Oireachtas na Gaeilge poetry competition through Irish, U-21, 2015.
- 1st place in Oireachtas na Gaeilge poetry competition through Irish, U-21, 2013.
- 2nd place in Oireachtas na Gaeilge poetry competition through Irish, U-21, 2012.
- 2nd place in Oireachtas na Gaeilge poetry competition through Irish, U-16, 2011.
- Two-time recipient of the Scéim na nOidí Irish writing grant scheme run by Fóras na Gaeilge, for the years 203-14 and 2015-16, where Féilim developed his work with distinguished Irish language writer Áine Ní Ghlinn.
English Language Publications:
- Féilim’s poems ‘The Ephemeral’ and ‘A View of Troy’ published in The Galway Review, December 2018. Read here.
- Three of Féilim’s short stories – ‘Dreamcatcher’, ‘A Warm November Day’, and ‘Getting Out’ – published in the literary journal A New Ulster, December 2017. Read here.
- Féilim’s poem ‘Ad Lucem’ published in the literary journal Tales from the Forest, July 2016. Read here.
- Féilim’s poem ‘Lasair’ published in the Trinity Journal of Literary Translation, May 2016.
- Féilim’s poems ‘An Interrogation of the Semicolon’ and ‘The Man Who Realised He Was God’ published in the literary journal Icarus, May 2016. Read here and here.
- Féilim’s poem ‘A Coming Together of Gods’ published in the literary journal Rant and Rave, January 2016. Read here.
- Féilim’s poem ‘Dead Fox’ published in Icarus, December 2015. Read here.
Irish Language Publications:
- Féilim’s short story ‘Cogar’ published in the journal Comhar, January 2018. Read here.
- Féilim’s poem ‘Meán Oíche’ published in the journal Tuathal, February 2017.
- Féilim’s poems ‘Racht’ and ‘Cuimhne’ published in Tuathal, September 2016.
- Three English-to-Irish translations, including ‘Morning Song’ by Sylvia Plath, as well as Féilim’s poem ‘Lasair’, published in the Trinity Journal of Literary Translation, May 2016.
- Féilim’s poems ‘Bóthar an Chladaigh’ and ‘Súil’ published in the literary journal An Scríbhneoir Óg, April 2016.
- Féilim’s poem ‘Ar Iarraidh’ published in the journal Comhar Óg, April 2016. Read here.
- Féilim’s poem ‘An Bhreith’ published in Comhar Óg, September 2015. Read here.
- Féilim’s poems ‘An tStreachailt’, ‘An Bhreith’, and ‘Cáca an Bháis’ published in An Scríbhneoir Óg, February 2015.
- Féilim’s poem ‘An Locht’ published in the literary journal Feasta, May 2014.
- Féilim’s poems ‘Teacht in Inmhe’, ‘Suaimhneas’ and ‘Ar iarraidh’ published in An Scríbhneoir Óg, February 2014.
- Féilim’s poem ‘Dúile an tSaoil’ published in Comhar Óg, November 2013.
To get in touch with me, click here.